Friday, January 29, 2010

The Tale of The NaNoNut Case Part Two: The Great NaNoNut


The Tale of The NaNoNut Case
Part Two: The Great NaNoNut

“Sooo What is this nut thing all about?” The Girl Voice asked

“Its not a nut thing. It is THE NUT. The nut that is above all the other nuts.” I replied in a hushed voice as we left the building and headed down a back alleyway.

“Is it something that ya eat?” The Girl Voice asked “Because I hope that it is. I am starting to get hungry with all of this running around.”

“Oh my.” I stopped utterly horrified.

“What? What did I say?” The Girl Voice stopped and looked at me.

“You cant be serious!” I stared at her.

She wasn’t serious? Was she? Could she really not actually know?

“Serious about what? I do not understand what you are talking about!” The Girl Voice made a face at me.

“You really don’t know anything about the nut do you?” I asked as I sniffed and peered at her face.

“No. And I don’t know why you are making such a big deal about it either. I mean seriously if you want me to know all about this whole Nut business and you are such the expert on the subject then you best get to it informing me so you can stop treating me like a bloody idiot.”

I just stared at her in wonder. I could not believe that there was anyone out there that did not know about the Great NaNoNut.

“I mean after all I cant be all that dumb ya know. I did find a way to get ya out of that room of yours.”

“This is true. You did do that.” The more I thought about it the more it started to make sense.

If I told the Girl Voice about the NaNoNut then she might be able to help me in my quest to locate it. It had to be found before it fell into the wrong hands. No telling what would happen if it did.

The world might end.

So I had to make the decision if I was going to trust the Girl Voice or not.

She was standing there staring at me with narrowed beady blue eyes, a strand of straight dark hair hung down over her half her face. I could feel my body start to sweat under my fur.

“To tell or not to tell. That is the question.” I said nervously.

“So what are ya gonna to do about it?” She asked straightening herself up and crossing her arms across her chest.

“Well I suppose I could tell you.”

“But?”

“Well you would have to swear that you will not tell anyone.” I said solemnly.

She started to laugh. Great big gales of sound roared out of her mouth, and it gave me quite the fright. I did not know if she would ever stop. And then as soon as it started she stopped again, gasping for breath.

“Who am I going to tell? Seeeeriously!” She giggled. “Who is going to believe that I know a talking squirrel, let alone anything you can tell me about this nut of yours.”

“You know you do have a point there.” I said thinking about things a little more. She was right. What did It matter? No one would believe her, given the circumstances.

“So? Are ya gonna tell me or not? I cant just stand here waiting all day ya know.”

“Alright. I will tell you but no talking about it to anyone. Do I make myself clear?” I asked sternly.

“Ya, Ya, whatever you say there Squirrely” She said rolling her eyes at me.

“Alright here goes.” I said as I took a deep breath and began, “There is a Nut out there some where. It is called the Great NaNoNut. They say it holds the key to all creativity. If it falls into the wrong hands it could mean an end to the world as we know it.”

“Wrong hands? I don’t get it. Who else in their right mind would believe in something so far fetched as that?”

“Well there are others out there who, like you, would not put it past an animal to be able to talk. People with open minds who might use the Great Nut to their own advantage instead of protecting it.”

“And that is what you want to do then? Find it so that you can protect it?”

“Well yes, that about sums it up. See there is this guy who—“

“Wait, what guy?”

“He is a really bad guy. He is out there as we speak looking for the Nut.”

“Alright, who is this guy and how do you know for sure that he is looking for the nut?”

“Because he is the reason you found me in that cell to begin with!” I exclaimed. This whole explaining thing was starting to become exhausting even for a squirrel with as much energy as I had.

“Ok I think I got you now. There is a Great Nut out there somewhere that is the key to creativity and there is some Bad Guy out there who is trying to find the Great Nut to fulfill some sort of personal need of his, and he has tried to stop you from finding the Great Nut first by locking you in a cell.”

“Yes exactly.” I released the breath I had been holding as she had gone about reciting the events that lead up to present. “That is it exactly. I am so glad you understand me now.”

“So.”

“Yes?” I looked at her cautiously.

“So do you want me to help you find this Great Nut of yours? So that we can save creativity for all of mankind?”

“Well not just mankind, but yes that would be lovely, if you wouldn’t mind?”

“I guess I really don’t have anything else better planned.”

“Thank you.”

“No problem, we best get to it then.”

No comments:

Post a Comment